EMTC joins 40 trade associations urging U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to keep legitimate trade flowing in the event that Congress does not pass legislation to fund the federal government for the new fiscal year, which commences October 1, 2023.
The associations signing the Joint Trade Industry Statement requests the following:
- Private sector communication with the CBP “War Room.”
- PGA Presence in the CBP “War Room.”
- CBP HQ, Ports, and Centers must coordinate.
- CBP daily briefings with the private sector.
- Trade must flow both ways.
- All tangential trade functions must be considered essential.
These recommendations are based on EMTC's past experience during government shutdowns when PGAs (EPA, FDA, USDA, etc.) do not issue permits, license and certificates causing collateral damage to exports and imports. Read the full Joint Trade Industry Statement.